This was my turn to pick one of this month’s Ina Garten Recipes for Barefoot Bloggers. Unfortuntely when I received the email we were out of town, but more importantly away from my cookbooks. I could only think about the wonderful blueberry murffins I had made once and had never posted about. Plus it is blueberry season in most parts of the country so I was thrilled to make them again w/o frozen berries. As I am typing this post I keep going to the fridge to grab a handful of the berries we picked today. For local readers, Swift Creek Berry Farm is still open for business and full of berries.
The recipe I chose was Streusel topped Muffins.
The first time I made them My husband kept asking me if I bought them!!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, shaken
- 1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (2 half-pints)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in to a large bowl and blend with your hands. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, and eggs. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a fork, mixing just until blended. Fold the blueberries into the batter. Don’t overmix! With a standard (2 1/4″) ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared cups, filling them almost full.
- For the topping, place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until the butter is in very small pieces. Pour into a bowl and rub with your fingers until crumbly. Spoon about 1 tbsp of the streusel on top of each muffin. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
The other Barefoot Blogger recipe was Greek Panzanella Salad which I will post about tomorrow.