While waiting in the orthodontist office a few weeks ago, I was browsing the Food Network Magazine. I had never seen it before so I was quite intrigued. There was the most delectable picture of a chocolate covered chocolate chip banana bread. Although I have seen people do it before I could not pull out the page of the magazine. Luckily when I was ready to make the recipe, I was able to google it.
OF course I had to tweak it just a little bit to make it a little healthier. If you are going to smoother something in chocolate make me feel a little better by adding some whole wheat flour and apple sauce:)
I did not have chocolate chips so I cut up a dark chocolate bar I had in my cupboard. They were too heavy and fell to the bottom of the loaf. I can only imagine if I did have the correct amount of chips how chocolaty this would taste.
I made two loaves. Do not glaze the loaf if you plan on freezing them. I actually just served the second loaf that I have froze and it was tasty and moist even without the glaze.
Don’t waste those half eaten bananas, cut them up and save for a tasty treat when have the urge.
Chocolate Glazed Chocolate Chip Banana Bread–Adapted from Food Network
For the Bread:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour OR 1/2 cup whole wheat and 3/4 cup AP flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream ( I used Greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt