This weekend I have been busy in the kitchen trying to come up with make ahead dessert and appetizer recipes for bunco on Tuesday night and family visitors next weekend. For those not familiar with bunco you have 3 tables of 4 women and usually at each table you have some sort of snack or two. Well I am not sure how much time you all have between dinner and 7:30 pm with children but anything I can make ahead I am all over it.
Chocolate Oat Bars Recipe
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) butter or margarine 3/4 cup( 1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine*
- 1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 cups uncooked quick oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crunchy or creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips–Optional
- Grease 9 inch square baking pan. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and vanilla;mix will Add the oats to the pan.
- Cook over low heat 2 or 3 minutes or until ingredients are well -blended.
- Press half of the mixture into prepared pan. Use back of large spoon to spread mixture evenly.
- Melt chocolate chips in small heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. (or just microwave, I used a 2 cup liquid measuring glass)
- Stir in peanut butter.
- Pour chocolate mixture over oat mixture in pan;spread evenly with a knife or back of spoon.
- Crumble remaining oat mixture over chocolate layer, pressing in gently.(you can add the optional mini or regular chocolate chips now too)
- Cover and refrigerate 2 or 3 hrs or overnight. Bring to room temperature to cut into bars.