During the summer months I seem to be doing loads of laundry daily. If not just the 3 outfits my kids have chosen to wear it is the wet and muddy clothing the kids bring in from our creek. I recently came upon some great steps to cleaner clothes for Frigidaire by Tara Aronson and thought I would share them with my laundry cleaning friends. (if you don’t do laundry please let us know your secrets!!)
While I am in such a hurry when doing laundry I often skip many of these steps. They are only ideals for my household but I am going to try to be better.
LAUNDRY STAIN FIGHTING TIPS:
10 Steps to Cleaner Clothes for Frigidaire by Tara Aronson
- Immediately rinse or blot away spills on your clothes with cool water to prevent stains from setting.
- Read fabric care labels before you wash. Your clothes will last longer if you know how to treat them.
- Sort laundry by color, wash cycle needed, and water temperature required. The Frigidaire Affinity’s Permanent Press cycle washes with warm water and less agitation, resulting in less wear and tear on your sturdy jeans, khakis, and sweaters; the Delicates cycle uses cold water and light agitation to gently clean swimsuits, workout clothes, and lingerie.
- Before washing stained garments, pretreat or prewash the spot using the Affinity’s Rinse & Spin cycle. If at first you don’t succeed, wash, wash again.
- To keep snags and lint to a minimum, zip zippers, button buttons, empty pockets, and brush away lint before tossing duds in the hamper.
- If your clothing is heavily soiled, your load large, or the water cold, add extra laundry detergent. Use the Affinity’s Heavy Duty cycle for sturdy but really dirty items like jeans and towels; choose the Sanitize setting to use the hottest water available to get rid of germs and grime as thoroughly as possible.
- Check wet garments for remaining stains, and re-treat as needed before drying. Heat will set stains.
- Dry only full loads. Tumbling a handful of garments prolongs the drying time by reducing the tumbling.
- Fold shirts and T-shirts to prevent wrinkling. If the shirt has buttons, button it at top, middle and bottom. Lay facedown. Fold both sides of the shirt so they meet in the back, with the sleeves aligned with the side folds. Fold the tail up to the cuffs, making a straight line at the bottom. Then fold in thirds crosswise. For T-shirts: a child’s T-shirt needs only one crosswise fold in half; an adult’s should be folded into thirds.
- Fold shorts and pants by aligning the inseams and outer seams of the legs and fold so that a crease forms at the front center of the legs. Fold in half or in thirds, depending on the size of the garment.
So now what do I do with the different types of stains that come to the house, can’t you just treat them the same way, throw them into the washer and hope for the best? Here are some tips for more specific care of your stains:
Scrape off as much of the colorful surface as possible using a plastic picnic knife. Apply laundry detergent directly on the stained area. Gently rub the detergent into the fabric then let sit several minutes. Launder using the hottest water the fabric can handle – or the Sanitize setting of your Frigidaire Affinity washer. Dry as usual.
2. Iced coffee.
Sponge the stained area with cold water. Apply a pretreater to the blight. Wash as usual and air dry.
Prewash the garment in warm water in your washing machine –the Rinse & Spin cycle on your Affinity washer – and a laundry detergent containing enzymes. Launder as usual (normal setting) with detergent and chlorine bleach if safe for the fabric. If the garment’s care label instructions advise against it, use oxygen (color safe) bleach instead. Dry as usual.
Soak for a minute or so in cold water. Remove excess water, and then apply a pretreater directly on the stained area. Wash with detergent as usual. Air dry. Do not place in the dryer until the blight is completely gone – otherwise the stain is likely to set.
5. Chocolate (or chocolate ice cream).
Prewash the garment in warm water with a laundry detergent that contains enzymes using the Affinity’s Rinse & spin setting. Launder as usual, using the washing machine’s Normal setting. Dry as usual.
When people visit Frididaire on Facebook and share their personal Adventures in Clean, Frigidaire will donate $1 to Save the Children, as part of its $750,000 commitment to the cause. It’s simple to share your Adventures in Clean – just upload a photo and the online app turns it into your very own movie poster! Plus, to help spread the word, everyone who participates will be entered for a chance to win a new Frigidaire Affinity® washer and dryer featuring Ready Steam™.
Disclosure: In return for this post, I am eligible for a gift card drawing however, all of my opinions are your own.