When I think of these bars often known as 7 layer or magic bars I think of my childhood. The use of such simple ingredients results with this unique combination of flavors, that you can mix around slightly for your tastes. The best part is that they are very simple to put together.
I even used low fat condensed milk!! Not like it makes that much difference when you consider all the other goodies in there!!
This is a simple recipe that the kids can easily get involved and do a lot of it. Instead of buying graham cracker crumbs, get the kids to crush them in a ziploc bag.
This is really a dump and mix type recipe that can get kids excited in the kitchen.
Magic Bar Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (14 ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk–lowfat if you want
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels or I use 1 cup semisweet and 1 cup butterscotch
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts are my favorite)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish). Coat 13×9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan.. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with a fork. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over mixture
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store covered at room temperature.